Monday, July 25, 2011

The Weekend Harvest

The summer vegetables are starting to come in.  I have to admit I do get envious when I see everyone elses huge harvests.  I have to keep reminding myself that the purpose of a potager is to provide small harvests for meals and not to put up for the future. 

The peppers are sizing up nicely and some should be changing color soon.
I couldn't resist picking this, the FIRST eggplant.  The picture does not do justice to the gorgeous lilac and plum color.
More 'Victor' tomatoes. 
What was supposed to be 'Tennessee Green Pod' bean and is actually a flat podded half runner and purple 'Velour' filet beans.
The denim blue 'Grandpa Ott' morning glory.

Annie's Granny was asking if 'Grandpa Ott' was my earliest mg and it certainly is, it has been in full flower for a month.  While I love the dark purple highlighted by a reddish star, this denim blue variant shows off the star much better, I'm hoping to save some seeds for it.

Harvest Monday is hosted by Daphne's Dandelions.

3 comments:

  1. The eggplant picture is great and so are the victor tomatoes. It looks like your garden is producing nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having some smaller harvests this year is telling me I do not need large harvests, I'm not feeding the world's hungry. In fact, I sat at my computer last night making plans for the 2012 garden, and included only the veggies we really enjoy fresh from the garden, and eliminating those that are only eaten occasionally. I'm finding it harder to keep up with it all as I get older (and older, and older!), so I think it's time to downsize a bit. I think fewer varieties, fewer plants and shorter rows are in my future. Maybe I'll end up with a pretty potager some day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very pretty eggplant. And we girls keep trying to tell you. It isn't the size that matters, it is how pretty the eggplant is.

    ReplyDelete