Friday, October 26, 2012

#@?%/*$ Mother Nature

I have no idea what I did to piss her off.
Mother Nature has been especially cruel this year, and is ending the season in a blaze of fury.

Last year it was 10 inches of snow on Halloween weekend.
This year she's throwing a hurricane at us that is predicted to be worse than the "Snowtober" nor' easter last year.  
NOAA's forecasting model has hurricane Sandy making landfall as category one hurricane and down grading to a tropical storm when it reaches this far inland.
I can deal with that.  Evil Mother Nature has a cold front to the west and there are predictions of two to three feet of snow in the higher elevations. 
The line could wobble this far east.  We are looking at 6-10 inches of rain or 2-3 feet of snow.  Neither prospect appeals to me.
Last year 10 inches of snow played havoc with trees and shrubs that are still leafed out.  All of that rain is a guarantee of a flooded lower level of the house.

This time next week my blog could be renamed "Tales From the Mountainslide".
I can hardly wait to see what next year brings! 


10 comments:

  1. I sent your bulbs today. Think spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Granny! I've been thinking spring for over a month. Now I'll have something to look forward to at the storms end. I think I'll name the lily "Sandy".

      Delete
  2. Since I'm on the same path as you we're both will witness the fury of the nature in it's finest. Last year we got 19 inches of snow dumped on us, two trees down and without a power for a week. This time we're prepared for it. I do hope my new hoop house will survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I remember that you were hit hard last year too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your hoop house survives.

      I lost one of my huge burning bushes last year. I'm hoping that I don't lose the other this one. Stay safe.

      Delete
  3. We were lucky last year. The towns next to us got lots of snow and lost power in the freak snow storm. We just got two inches. We were right on the edge. It looks like New England will just get a glancing blow in this storm. Mother Nature still hasn't been kind to us though. We have had two microbursts centered over us since we moved into this house and we have only lived here for two years. The last one took down over 100 trees in less than one square mile. The only good thing about that was a microburst is small, so the emergency services can get the power up and open up the roads much faster. It still took two days to get the power back to everyone though. We never lost power, but our dead end street was blocked for a while. I found out I have no friends with chainsaws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, I hope that your luck holds out and you miss the brunt of the storm.

      If things keep up like this I'll have to add a chainsaw to my snow gear!

      Delete
  4. Hold on there Ed. I heard about this storm of the century coming in. We may get some of the wind and storms even here in Ohio. This is no way to end the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lona, I agree, this is no way to end fall.

      Delete
  5. We're all waiting here in the northeast to see what's going to hit us. It seems to me we are getting more and more extremes of weather than we used to, but maybe it just seems so. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks nutmeg, hope you get spared from the worst.

      Delete