Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Mountain

I realized a short while ago I have never shown any pictures of the mountain mentioned in the title of the blog. 
South Mountain is not particularly high, it tops out at about 1200 feet in this section.  It is a long sprawling affair that actually looks like a few mountains,  but is actually just one.  The mountain is 70 miles long and 12 miles at is widest.  It is the northenmost mountain in the Blue Ridge chain.

View from the deck.

This what I see from the front of the house.  The house is located towards the base on the western side.  From my front door I can see the Washington Monument that is at the summit.  This is actually the first monument in the country that was dedicated to George Washington.  The residents of the town actually crowded into the top of the monument to watch the battle of Antietam (which is the next town over) during the Civil War.  There was also a not well known battle fought on the mountain itself.

View from the front porch, the monument is circled.

Close up of the monument.
Just a little information about the blogs title...

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. SunnyBeach, thanks! It changes seasonally too. I need to check to see if I have pictures in the fall when the view is unbelievable.

      Delete
  2. Cool, I was just thinking about that a few weeks ago. I was wondering what sort of mountains you lived by. That is cool about the Washington monument.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris, I forgot to mention that it is the northernmost extension of the Blue Ridge chain. The monument is even more noticeable at night when it is lit.

    ReplyDelete