Saturday, July 17, 2010

It Pays to Wait..

Or, Ed is Cheap!
Yesterday I received my order from Thompson and Morgan, of course I HAD to take advantage of their clearance sale. I scored three varieties that were new this year, and several that were introduced last year. I really had wanted their 'Sweet Sixteen' cosmos, but money being extremely tight this spring I had to pass. Gotta love those clearance sales!

Here's the list
  1. Cosmos 'All Sorts Mixed' $1.19
  2. Hollyhock 'Halo White' $.88
  3. Rudbeckia 'Cherry Brandy' $1.05
  4. Dahlia 'Black Beauty' $1.58
  5. Hollyhock 'Spring Celebrities Mixed' $1.98
  6. Cosmos 'Double Click Rose Bon Bon' $1.38
  7. Dianthus 'Microchips' $.60
  8. California Poppy 'Jelly Beans Mixed' $.88
  9. Snapdragon 'Bronze Dragon' $1.18
  10. Foxglove 'Pam's Split' $1.58
  11. Cosmos 'Sweet Sixteen' $1.19

Above, zinnia 'Zahara Starlight Rose', 'Zahara Double Cherry' and alyssum 'Carpet of Snow'.

One of my garden buddies, the butterfly bush is filled at this time if the year.

Above, from left to right, petunia 'Fire Chief', morning glory 'Pearly Gates' and 'Heavenly Blue', zinnia 'Aztec Sunset', zinnia 'Meteor', morning glory 'Grandpa Ott' with golden spirea in the fore ground.

Not much is going on in the vegetable garden. The heat is causing most of the blooms to drop on the beans and tomatoes. What is doing great are the three peppers planted along the driveway. They now have at least six peppers each and blooming like crazy. Note to self, next year peppers and bush tomatoes along the driveway.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Ed. Hey, your not cheap just a great planner. Your zinnias are so beautiful. You picked up some great seeds for next summer.I planted the Zahara Starlight Rose zinnias too and I can see yours look like mine. But they are not what the pictures in the catalogs proclaimed them to be.Mine has no double blooms and just a thin pink line. They are still beautiful though. This heat has my veggies drooping and dropping too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the zahara starlight rose zinnias need cool weather. The first blooms on mine looked just like the picture. You should definately try the Double Zahara's, they are great, much better than the profusions. I'll have to post a few pictures of them.
    Ed

    ReplyDelete