Robin from the Gardener of Eden post about garden planning really inspired me this weekend. The first thing I do when I begin my planning is to get a picture in mid winter of the gardens bones.
The area that I'm concentrating on is shown above. The paved area is the foundation from a falling down shed that was there when we moved in. It's a 10' x 10' square that we don't use as it is too hot for seating. The back right is the Postage Stamp Potager. The dayliles and iris it's foreground are slated for removal this spring. The area to the right contains daylilies that are crying to be divided. The bottom left show the stump to one of my much loved Burning Bushes.
The bones for this area would be the ornamental grass, butterfly bush, dappled willow, three arborvitae, concrete pad and the fence. When viewed from the deck I get a better perspective on the vertical needs for the PSP. This year I am GOING to use the fence for vining crops. Other vertical elements will be bamboo teepee's and inverted V trellises for pole beans. Cherry tomatoes will be trained up 6ft bamboo poles and severely pruned.
The PSP in it's current condition. The 'Broadway' rose in the center bed is going to be kept. Despite having to compete with the yearly jungle, it gets better and better each year. The paths will need to be rethought and redefined this year.
The front area containing the jungle of daylilies, iris and perennial weeds I can't easily remove, this will give me an additional 54- 72 sq ft- that's at least a 1/3 increase in space!
I'm thinking of a container garden for the pad. The back row would be 3- 18" pots, the middle row would be 3- 16" pots and the front row would be 4- 14" pots. This would give me great place to try new varieties and combinations.
Now that I've got a handle on the areas bones, I can start translating the ideas from my head to the actual plans.