Saturday, June 2, 2012

Lettuce Update

The lettuce in pool bed #2 is growing like crazy.  With all the rain we have been having it seems to be doubling in size daily.  This bed has been under water twice during two flash floods that have raced through the yard.  I'm surprised at the minimal bug damage from this bed.  I'm hoping that the slugs and earwigs have all drowned!

'Ruby' lettuce.

From 'Wild Garden Mixed', probably 'Hyper Red Rumpled'

From 'Wild Garden Mixed', probably 'Flashy Green Butter Oak'.

From 'Wild Garden Mixed'.

From 'Wild Garden Mixed'.

From 'Wild Garden Mixed', this is the speckled iceberg type.

'Gentilina' and one from 'Wild Garden Mixed' probably 'Hyper Red Rumpled'.


The escarole in the opposite pool bed are growing just as fast.  I never realized how attractive the pattern is of the open plant.

I just love the pattern of the leaves.


8 comments:

  1. Your lettuce looks wonderful! I lost a great deal of my lettuce from the extreme heat that we had.

    Gotta go feed the fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robin! The heat doesn't seem to have bothered them, maybe all the rain has counteracted the effect.

    BTW- the fish do appreciate the attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so pretty. We are finally getting some rain. I've been thinking of watering for the last three days but haven't. Now of course we are getting days of rain. If only it could be spread out better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daphne. This passed week we have gotten over 3 inches rain courtesy of 3 severe thunder storms. The first flooded the lower level of the house as well as the gardens. The second two just flooded the gardens.

      Today it's sunny and much cooler and I can't do any planting because it's too wet! I wish I could the rain anyone elses way.

      Delete
  4. I'm really loving all the variety this year, and hoping my semi-shade lettuce planting areas will continue to provide us with greens (and reds) through the summer. I just planted some of your summer mix in a container, and separated the white seeds from the black seeds to see which gave red leaves and which grew green. I can plant the red anywhere, but the green has to be protected from birds. Now I forgot which color was planted where, LOL, but I think I rhymed it as "black in back"! It looks like with my current crop I got a bit heavy handed with the Parris Island Cos, but that's OK, plan old Romaine is still one of my favorites. I'm also loving the butterheads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planting my summer mix today. There's not much I can do outside as everything is stii super saturated. I'll do my color selecting when they get the first leaves.

      I've never been able to grow a good butterhead, but I'll try this fall with a wide spacing to help foil the bugs.

      My old favorite is 'Ruby', the first lettuce I ever planted when I was about 10.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous colors! It's almost too pretty to eat ;)

    ReplyDelete