Monday, June 20, 2011

This Weeks Harvest- Spring Crops Winding Down

With this weeks harvest I'm getting down to the last of the Spring crops.
Above, a deep bowl of 'Feezonian' and 'Pretty' purple podded peas.
Above, endive from an escarole/ endive mix from Pinetree Seeds.  Next year I will be planting a lot more endive and escarole and a lot less lettuce.  The endives are more heat resistant and MUCH more bug resistant.  Slugs and earwigs ignore them while they love to feast on lettuce.
Above, this 12" bowl is entirely 'Ruby' lettuce.  This is from two plants.
Above, arugula from the second planting.

Not shown, separate bowls each of 'Galactic', 'Flashy Green Butter Oak', and 'Les Orielles de Diable' lettuce.  Also not shown- all the other endive and arugula harvests.

I was able to harvest one lonely carrot... no picture, it was eaten immediately.

Harvest Monday is hosted by Daphne's Dandelions.

5 comments:

  1. Your greens are still looking nice. I had a lot of slug damage to mine this spring, but I planted so much I had lettuce to spare! It seems like the carrots are taking forever, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the purple podded peas, they look nice. Have you ever planted pink eye purple hull peas? I don't know if your climate is warm enough. They are a type of cow pea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice harvest -- those peas look very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely have slug damage on my lettuce. Occasionally yes. But usually it is planted close to the brassicas and I think they steal all the slugs. Those peas look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Granny- I have so much lettuce that I too only keep rhe perfect leaves. One flaw and it's compost.

    Kris- I've never planted pink eye purple hull peas. Then again I've never eaten a cow pea. I'll have to look into them.

    Allison- The purple podded peas are attractive in the garden and a lot easier to find whn it's time to pick them.

    Daphne- My slugs are equal opportunity! They bother the lettuce as much as the cabbage. I've noticed that they prefer savoy cabbage, it has twice the damage as the other types! The purple peas are the only ones still blooming in the high heat.

    ReplyDelete