Sunday, March 6, 2011

Comstock, Ferre & Co.

While browsing online I came across their website. This is one of the oldest seed companies in America, recently purchased by the folks who own Baker Creek Seed. I wasn't really interested until I got to the Petunia section. If you don't know it yet I'm a sucker for vintage varieties from the 1930's- 1960's. They had 'Fire Chief' which I needed to replenish my supply and 'Rose of Heaven'. What got my pulse racing was 'Rose King'. Supposedly all of the pre-1950 All-America Selections of petunia's were lost and here was on from 1936. I decided on four of their five petunia selections and 'Allegheny Mixed' hollyhocks. the icing on the cake was that they offer free shipping on orders over $5.00. The order was placed on a Monday and the seeds arrived on Friday, how's that for service? They even included a gift pack of seeds, the one petunia variety I didn't buy! So far, I'm very impressed!
.

Above, 'Rose King' petunia.
.
Above, 'Rose of Heaven' petunia.






No comments:

Post a Comment