Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dangerous Waters



And I will probably be paddling up them before long.
It all started with the post below.
An innocent ( at least I HOPE it was innocent!) comment from Annie's Granny

"...a page at another webgarden site here A Forum devoted to Morning Glories is here at http://cubits.org/MorningGlory".

Of course, I followed that link.
An hour later, I had mentally removed half of the plants on the property and had started the web search.

.
Bear in mind that I recently had my latest horticultural obsession, daylilies, go into remission.

In the very late 90's I bought two newer tetraploids, 'Strawberry Candy' and 'Elegant Candy'.

Two years later I had over one hundred varieties and thought nothing of shelling out upwards of $200 for the latest and greatest. Another thing to bear in mind, I am a Botanist by training, and when an obsession consumes me, the hybridizing bug kicks in. This year was the first year I made no crosses with my daylilies. I finally realized I had no room for 1000+ new seedlings every year!

.
Now Japanese morning glories have a lot in their favor. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to grow and apparently easy to hybridize. After I got a look at the images in the above mentioned forum, and saw what was available, the Siren Song became much louder.

.
.I do plan acquiring a few of those luscious Japanese hybrids. Upon going through my vast seed collection I did come up with the following, that are now topping the list of what to grow in 2011.

.




'Blue Silk' morning glory

'Tie Dye Rose' morning glory

'Mt. Fuji Mixed' morning glory

.
I'll keep you posted on what happens.

You may be able to witness my descent into obsession!

I already have visions of the gorgeous strains I hope to grow and eventually create.

Good thing my back yard has a six foot privacy fence!

2 comments:

  1. I have created a monster ;-)

    Oh, I have about a dozen MG blossoms now. There is hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie's Granny- It certainly looks that way :) I'm getting a bloom or two every other day on 'Heavenly Blue', zero so far on it's sport 'Pearly Gates'. Just wait till next year...

    ReplyDelete